Sunday, July 26, 2009

Laundry Room Re-Do - Done!

laundry room

A few days ago, Cynthia wrote for advice regarding her laundry room, and a number of you (along with me) provided suggestions.

Now she's made her changes, and here's what she has to say: "Even though it's not as dramatic as an HGTV episode, I'm happy and the space is working much better now. I think I hit a good combination of looking better and working better."

And this raises some good points. First off, most organizing projects don't work like the TV shows. We don't have huge staffs working behind the scenes, we don't work 18-hour days, and we have limited budgets - and limited time.

And while TV shows focus on huge changes, many of our projects are smaller-scale, and involve tweaks to existing systems, not total re-dos. Little things can make a big difference in how a space works, and feels.

Cynthia's space is more functional now and, she says, "the space looks nice and doesn't bug me when I walk through the room." That's success!

To read more about what Cynthia did, you can read her own blog entry.

5 comments:

Theresa Finnigin, Ready Aim Organize said...

Looks great! Cynthia really took advantage of the vertical space!

John Trosko said...

Jeri,

You've made an interesting point about the time it takes to do things. I can see this project probably took about 18 hours or so. I'd be curious if they kept track. But the results are lovely, I too love the vertical space idea.

John aka OrganizingLA

Richtsje said...

How incredibly inspiring! Wanting to have our laundryroom done, it is very hard to find any comparable spaces: lots of rooms are very large and therefor nice to see but non-usable.
Thanks for showing!

deanna said...

I think it looks great! And look at all the stuff she's got in that small space! I'm impressed.

Jeri Dansky said...

Theresa, John, Richtsje and Deanna: I'm sure Cynthia will be delighted to hear all your compliments!