Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reader Question: Room Dividers that Help You Stay Organized

tall shoji screen room divider with pockets

I challenge you to do a post about offbeat room dividers. -- Marcie Lovett, Organized by Marcie

Marcie was kind enough to send me a link to an interesting product; unfortunately, in the few days since she wrote to me, that link has stopped working. But I enjoyed the challenge - so Marcie, this one is for you!

There are two companies that provide readily-found room dividers that also serve an organizing function. One is Oriental Furniture, which makes the 6-foot-tall shoji screen with pockets shown above.


shoji screen room divider with cork board panels

Oriental Furniture also has this shoji screen with cork board panels.


folding screen with pockets

The second company is Adesso, which makes the Pocketz Folding Screen.


folding screen with shelves, hooks, magazine rack

Adesso also makes the Hang It Up Folding Screen.


bookcase room divider for children

If you have children, you might like this divider from Jonti-Craft: the mobile library bookcase.


felt covered partition with slots for papers, magazines, etc.



Now we're going to head over to Italy - and look at two dividers that are very cool, but might be harder to find - and more expensive. The first is the WGS Wall from Gallotti & Radice - which I'm not finding under "products" on the company's web site. But it's in the Salon del Mobile 2010 Milano catalog of 15 New Products - and in photos from that event. [via Architonic and DigsDigs]


room divider, felt-covered, with straps to hold papers, magazines, etc.

divider, felt-covered, with straps to hold papers, magazines, etc.

Then there's the Softwall from B&B Italia; the company does have a branch office in New York. [via Architonic]


room screen
room screen with pockets for magazines, etc.

And Abstracta, in Sweden, makes Airflake News - with pockets that can store magazines. The product can be configured with your choice from the five shapes and seven colors available. The first photo above is the regular Airflake, so you get an idea of what the product is; the second is a close-up of the Airflake News.

Finally, if you're the do-it-yourself type, you might be inspired by the room divider screen the Cindy Dyer made, starting with a bi-fold closet door.

9 comments:

Marcie Lovett said...

Jeri, Jeri, Jeri, you never fail to amaze. You more than met the challenge! I'm so sad to learn that Gracious Home doesn't have the screen anymore; I just recommended it to a client. Luckily, we can get it from Adesso.

Once again, you have shown your ability to root out the most unusual organizing products. Keep it up!

Jeri Dansky said...

I'm glad you're pleased, Marcie - and that I can help you direct your client to that screen, though another source.

The link in your e-mail worked when I first clicked on it - but then, this morning, the product was gone.

Neat Nest said...

I love this post - especially that the room dividers in felt are also sound barriers. The cork board screen looks very interesting as well for a mood board or for individual projects one might be working on at the same time.

Good research!!
Lorese
Neat Nest

Jeri Dansky said...

Thanks, Lorese - it's always nice to know when a post resonates with my readers!

Pauline Wiles said...

All those pockets are so cool! And the mobile library, for a kids room, is wonderful.

cathy said...

I am not sure what room dividers I love more.

Cynthia Friedlob said...

I think this is the coolest post ever! ~ Many, many years ago, I searched for ages for a simple shoji screen (eventually found one through the Sears catalogue, of all places). Wish I'd had at least some of these terrific options!

MarySees said...

Great post, Jeri! I love the dividers!

Jeri Dansky said...

Struggler, Cathy, Cynthia, MarySees: I'm so glad you enjoyed this post - I had no idea it would be so popular!