Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Reader Success Story: Organizing with Shoe Boxes



Someone was teasing me lately about the expensive products that I sometimes include in this blog. So it seems a good time to mention the least expensive of all options: using things you already own.

Reader Lynn (who has her own blog) shared with me what she's done recently, and gave me permission to share it with all of you:
I recently de-cluttered and reorganized my home office and I'm very excited about it. I wanted to share with you some of my recycled shoe boxes I used for storing loose items. I used pretty gift wrap to cover the boxes, then labeled them with adhesive business card sleeves--that way I can remove the card from the sleeve and insert a different one if I choose to change the contents of the box.

4 comments:

Cynthia Friedlob said...

Adhesive business card sleeves! Why didn't I think of that?!

Lee said...

I love the idea that you can choose your own pattern and that this would be really inexpensive.

I've never heard of adhesive business card holders. Brilliant! This would be a fun project with my labeler (it's so much fun to use, plus my perfectionistic self doesn't have to keep rewriting until I get it perfect).

Lynn said...

@Cynthia...I wish I could claim credit for thinking of the adhesive business card sleeves, but it came through the help of an employee at a local office supply store. I told him about my boxes and explained I wanted to label in a way that I could change it without ruining the paper on the boxes, and he suggested the business card pockets. (Up until that point, I was thinking of taping plastic snack size bags to the boxes and use index cards inside.)

@Lee...I probably should have run the business cards through my printer for a neater look, but I had some used ones that I wanted to re-use, so I flipped them over and wrote on the blank side. :) My printer won't print on business cards unless they are in a sheet. :( A nice labeler sure would be handy! I oogle those when I'm at the office supply store. Any recommendations?

Jeri Dansky said...

Lynn, I use a Brother P-touch labeler - a desktop model, with an adapter. (My specific model is no longer sold.) Brother and Dymo are the brands I see most people using.